Friday, December 8, 2017

Open War cards review

I just played my first game using the Open War cards.

I bought this deck to easily randomise our games and make interesting unpredicatable battles each time we play.



The deck has 5 types of cards:
  • Deployment (how to place the armies on the table)
  • Objective (what is the victory condition)
  • Twist (some unpredictable special rule for example night fight or rain)
  • Ruse (tactic cards that give small advantage like ambushing your opponent)
  • Sudden death (when one player has much smaller army he gains a secret victory condition)
Rules wise it is very flexible how you can use these cars. Rules say the underdog army can take one Ruse card, but for our first game we decided to draw 1-1 ruse card to add some tactical element to our game.
During the game my opponent was way behind at the end of the second turn so I decided to give him a Sudden Death so the game will not became one sided and boring. It helped to almost turn the outcome.

The General's Handbook (2017) also gives you ideas how to use the cards to play a campaign. I'm planning to use a similar thing for our next Skirmish campaign. We can start based on a story and later just play a game or two before the final battle of the skirmish story.

After only one game I already can say it was worth to buy this deck. I can't wait our next game!

No comments:

Post a Comment