Friday, November 3, 2017

Wargame Scenery

Our first game we played with my brother was with unpainted miniatures and the terrain was made out of everything we had at hand: book mountains, deo stift forests, hair spray tower and a plush zergling.
Since then I am rushing to paint up a starting army and also build some proper scenery pieces to make our game experience better. 

I wanted to make small scatter terrain and some medium and large pieces for variety. The large pieces are only in plan stage at the moment. I must think about how to make the bigger pieces in a way to be able to store and carry them easily. 

For now I show you the medium pieces I come up with.

Aelf(AoS) / Aeldari(40K) altars

This piece can be used in both Age of Sigmar and in 40K. The rune is from 40K but it doesn't make it less viable in the fantasy setting AoS. 
The small window allows one or two models to shoot through while staying in cover.
There is a rune of Ynnead on the altar just because I like it.
The wall is foam board, the texture is carved in
This piece has smaller wall section but it is a two level ruin, with a smaller circle altar inside. The window is much bigger here allowing for about 3 models to shoot through from cover.

The texture on the base was made with a textured roll to air drying clay

5 models with 32mm base can be placed on the second floor. Models with smaller 25 mm base fit more easily without falling.

The windows are laser cut MDF pieces
These ruins all can be used as line of sight blockers or objectives. 

The same time I made these ruins I also prepared ten 25mm bases to find out if this same concept will look good on a small scale. I think it does and will use this for my elven army when I get to them. The vegetation added will make it also look good whether I choose to add some Wanderers or Sylvaneth to the army with the same base later. I must get Drycha! (Planning to add something to a yet non-existing army, crazy...)

I can even carve dwarven runes on the bricks and I can add Fyreslayers to the army as well
(Daemonic sounds in my head, stop it!)
Simple Cliff

This cliff piece can be used for line of sight blocking and ten 25mm model can easily climb on top.

I added a ruined pillar so this piece complements the elven ruins
32mm MDF bases provide 3 stairs, so models can climb the terrain piece easily
Objective Markers

Plastic graves based on simple 25mm brown muddy bases. These can be used for anything really, if not for objective just to represent a small graveyard.

I should have made at least six...
Since making just one more feels stupid, I will make like 10 more next time.

These grave pieces are painted up with grey and gold, dark wash, then lighter gray drybrush. With the basing it took about 10 minutes to finish.

The others above took much longer, days...



No comments:

Post a Comment