Thursday, August 31, 2017

Ironjawz Ardboyz unit with Big Choppas

UPDATE: I took these photos with a potato back then, please check my second unit here.


My first unit in the Ironjawz army was the Ardboyz.

Following the color scheme of the test model of Black Ork Big boss but using more orange than dark blue.
First unit of 10 Ardboyz (2016)
 I liked the zigzaggy flame symbols from the box art and it looked easy to do,  so I copied it.

While I was waiting for the delivery I was searching for ideas and was in between two choices. Red armor of the Bloodhoof clan or the orange based Zedek's Weirdladz.

Finally I liked the fiery theme the most. I think it has more room for further conversions (shaman with scary magic fire), and the overal story of a heavy armored orruk clan who are crazy for flames.

Ardboy Boss
The orange armor represents the clans bond with fire and they also think it saves them from burning.

Ardboyz are special because that they can have mixed weapons in a given unit, but I wanted all of them to use two handed Big Choppas for the -1 Rend it gives.

Raise those choppas!
The box comes with fewer weapons to let all the boyz get their Big Choppas, but a bit of kitbashing and Greenstuff allowed me to equip all of them to show the weapon options on all models.

Drummer and Boxer
Notice the axe behind the drummer, he can also fight when needed. His mate can smash faces with his boxer then cut it in half with the choppa. Combo kill!

Banners in one hand and a Big Choppa in the other
This first unit of 10 was great fun to assemble and paint and I learnt a lot while doing them.
I'm planning to alter the scheme a bit for following Ardboyz units for distinction. Checker pattern or skulls instead of flames, maybe more dark blue and less orange.


Colors used

Undercoat: white
Orange armor: Troll Slayer Orange base > Fuegan Orange wash > Troll Slayer Orange clean up > Fire Fragon Bright highlight
Dark Blue Armor: Stegadon Skale green base > Drakenhof Nightshade wash > Russ Grey highlight > Fenrisian Grey edge highlight
Green skin: Waaagh! flesh > Warboss Green highlight > Biel-tan green wash > Warboss Green highlight second time > skarsnik green muscle and edge highlight
Weapons: Leadbelcher base > Nuln olil wash > Runefang Steel highligt and scratches
Banner: Mechanicus Standard Grey base > Nuln Oil wash > Mechanicus Standard Grey clean up > Administratium Grey highlight

No comments:

Post a Comment