Friday, October 20, 2017

Inquisitor with Warhammer

This year I gave an almost entirely custom sculpted inquisitor to my brother for his birthday.

This is the first time I tried to sculpt on this scale also painted it myself. It was good to make something different, not only from the sculpting point of view, but to breakaway from the Age of Sigmar a into 40K.

Inquisitorial Rosette hammer
His outfit is a simple winter coat, with hoodies off. I added some lining so it would not be so simple. There is a rosette on the armor as well and a purity seal. The rosette was formed with a needle, it is barely visible on the photo but recognizable on the miniature.

The text on the scroll is inconsistent, the size of the lines change a lot. I wanted to paint the smallest text I could. The beginning of the second paragraph is the size I was aiming for, but could not do it everywhere. Since the scroll itself is not a single color but have a papyrus like texture, any correction would have been risky, and once I got to the painting the time was a bit short to finish everything.

Top view, you can see his head tattoo

The base of the miniature is a frozen lake with some snow effect. Yes it is too blue, I got the critiques already, but it is actually intended. It is an alien planet kind of thing, I mixed purple in the ice and used vibrant blue to make it stand out.

I like how the force hammer lighting effects turned out. This is actually the second version, I totally repainted the first one. It was yellowish sparky lighting effect and looked very out of place. The blue electrical lighting looks much better.

I took some photos before the painting.


I'm not ready to sculpt a satisfactory face yet, so it was stolen from the Ironjawz Brutes kit. I also glued a resin skull to the end of the hammer. Other than the skull and the plastic head everything is made of greenstuff and milliput.
The sculpting took me a couple of weeks. I had to re do some parts over and over because once I was ready with one part and started to work on the other I accidentally ruined the "finished" part touching it. After making this mistake 2-3 times decided to always wait till everything is cured and only moved on after that. It was not too much of a problem, I could only work on it for short periods at a time in the evenings.

It was a very enjoyable challenge and I'm looking forward to similar projects in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment